Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympic Blog

What a terribly busy and stressful week.

I know what your thinking, is he part of the 2008 Olympics?? Does he have great stress due to all the training? Is his schedule filled with opening ceremonies, and last minute adjustments to the meeting all new people in a foreign land? I know that it would seem these to be valid questions, but the answer is no, I did not attend the Olympics opening ceremony. I did however have lots of training and met lots of new people in my new permanent job (which is on a different floor in a different building which is technically foreign to me).

My new job consists of me learning a whole new program to work in, and it is slow going to say the least. Hopefully i can get a better handle on it next week, so that i can feel more productive.

Along with a new system to learn, came lots of new names to learn... which is hard. The reason it is hard is something i have yet to figure out. You see, up until the age of about 26, i was able to remember every persons name that i met. I had an uncanny ability to remember one time acquaintances. I'm talking names that were useless to remember, like the boyfriend of your girlfriends cousin (Mike Boyd). Something changed in my brain in my late 20's, and now names are like gibberish. I will here a name, and literally, fractions of a second later, it is gone. It is like i leap forward in time when introductions are being made. My brain has turned on me. As a result of this, i can not manage introductions without looking like a fool. There is no finer moment then when you go to introduce your wife to a long time friend and realize you cant remember your... wife's name. Okay, it hasn't been that bad, but it certainly feels like it.

The days were busy, and the evenings were as well.

Tuesday saw the final 6 Ring of the quarter which was fun. It was the last night of CSGG (Club Squad Group Gang), as all the teams will be mixed up for the next round. It will be exciting to start coaching a new team from scratch.

Later that night the wife (whats her name...come on Jason, THINK) and I went to see An Intimate Evening with Mike Fotis. It is one of the many shows of the Fringe Festival. It was hilarious. Great story telling Mike. Nice job.

Wednesday was rehearsal for Stevie Ray's. It was a great rehearsal, as it was time to stretch the brains a little and really start juggling improv skills. I think the expressions left on the troupe was all the assurance i needed to know that i had gave them a work out. Came home that night and grilled and had some great conversations with Dave (something last name... dammit Jason, you can do this!)

Monday and Thursday was an evening busy with children. Insert multiple parenting things here. Thursday also came with a late night get together at Josh and Alicia's new home. My wife (I know its in there somewhere, think boy, THINK) and I went for some grilling and conversations with people we knew and new acquittance's (not even going to try).

Friday evening was also an evening of children and house cleaning. The first time in a while i was home alone with the little ones. The reason for that is because the teenager has begun working. That's right. If your at the BNW on a Friday or Saturday, you may be seated by him. He has a new title, and it is usher boy. Not sure how he feels about it yet, as he is not very expressive, but i am sure the money that can come from it might raise the emotional meter. We will see. The rest of the evening was spent with Karen (wait a minute, that's it, I DID IT!) watching some bad television. It seems like weeks since we were able to do that. Kind of cool.

Well that turned out to be quite the weekly recap blog. Sorry about that. Probably was more of a debrief from all the stress of some of it. It doesn't read very stressful, but trust me, it was in there. I'm off, i have to start stretching out for week two of ...(insert my name, CRAP!) Olympics.

1 comment:

josh said...

try teaching a senior's class where you're the only person who doesn't know everyone's name, or not even recognizing faces of your fiancee's friends when they are at your house... again.