Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Dark Opinion

Well, i have joined millions in being a viewer of...The Batman/The Joker. And if your wondering, yes, i have commentary... but not about the movie.

My commentary is about how you are treated when you don't agree with the populace on their majority opinion. It seems that people take The Batman very seriously.

For the sake of this commentary, my opinion of the movie is this... Heath Ledger as the Joker was incredible, captivating and left me wanting more. The rest of the movie i felt was decent, but not worth the hype. The last 20 to 30 minutes felt forced, and The Batman had a terrible case of lock jaw and laryngitis, and the comparison to the current administration was a bit of a push. Nuff said.

That being said, I would like to state for the record, it is an OPINION.

I attended a party with my wife last night, where the topic of the movie came up far more than once, and naturally i stated my opinion. You would be amazed at the reaction. You would think that i told everyone that puppies were the devils work sent here to eat small children. Immediately people went on the defensive to squash my opinion by displaying their deep knowledge of Batman trivia, names of producers, directors, actors, PAs, and my inability to see the warm hug DC was trying to give to its fans with this film.

I don't know what it was, but this opinion seemed to affect the relations between friends of old to new acquaintances. I felt judgement that i have not felt before, all over a movie. A two and A HALF hour film about a vigilante in a costume saving a city from destruction. I can see where this story, which is clearly based on truth by every one's reaction, should cause a reevaluation of friendships based in REAL life.

For the record, i have been a fan of Batman since childhood. If there is any doubt, ask one of the members of The Outtakes*. I have plenty of room for the success of The Batman, unfortunately my opinion says... too much hype.

So... a warning. If you found the film not matching all the buzz, be careful who you express your point of view to. It could cost your credibility. The majority will not stand for dissension. They will come at you with great vigor to have you conform. To the majority i have only one thing left to say....




















*The answer to a commonly asked question for a suggestion.

No comments: