Thursday, April 2, 2009

Inmate 1 Alcatraz 0

***Its quiet. Catching my breath. Watching the steam pass my lips as it freezes and grips on to my beard. I can taste and smell the stale cold. I can hear my heart beating in my chest. I try to take a deep breath, but the thinness of the air pushes back, and instead of relief I feel pain. My eyes start to water. Time and body temperature is slipping. My brain scrambles to measure how close death is. Its not favorable.***



Sunday morning brought a new chapter to the household.

Logan woke in his crib at 7 am. He started to call out for Mommmmy and then Daaaaaadddy. We thought if we waited he might go to sleep, and after about 15 minutes, it seemed like we might catch a few more winks. I laid there trying to fall back to sleep. After about thirty minutes, i was about to doze off when it happened. A door handle started to rattle. My heart jumped, especially since i saw no one out in the hallway. Instead what i saw was my 2 year old's door start to open ever so slightly. He did it. He finally reached a point where the sturdy wood bars would no longer hold him. Aside from that, he clearly has the skills of a baby ninja, as not a sound was made during his escape.

The greater question is how did he do it? Did he finally discover his mutant power to move through solid objects? Did he have some amazing gymnastic feat? Did he dismantle part of the frame? Whatever his secret, he is not telling.

With that, we will probably have to start shopping a bed. I can only imagine all the new things that will come with this. What i am trying to say is that its not going to be easy raising a mutant. But we will love him none the less.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I am in love with this story, particularly the way you tell it.

JKB said...

Thank you, and thank you for reading.

BGB said...

You are quite the writer son, dad and I loved this story, reminds us of another Ninja of years past!!

David Jennings said...

You know it is just a matter of time before you wake up with a mini Jack Bauer dropping from the ceiling to land on your head.