Monday, September 8, 2008

SS of Summer

There is a sweet spot between summer and fall. It is anywhere between 4 to 10 days on average. Its where the temperature is cool at night and gets very warm during the day. These are the days that remind me most of my childhood and obviously make me the most nostalgic. I'm reminded of nights i would spend on a cement pier on Hickam Air Force Base with the cool trade winds cutting across the water. If everyday of the year could be like this, I would be a very happy individual.
The unfortunate part is that it can not.
Fall is inevitable. Through my many years of living in the upper Midwest, i have come to dislike fall, as it is the introduction to winter. If there is one thing people know about me, it is that i don't enjoy winter. I have tried, but it is clearly not in me. So with that, i have to hold for the Sweet Spot.
I have tried to advise my wife that we should move to a beach. This is where i would be most happy. To be able to interact with a wave on a regular basis would be perfection. To hear the surf pounding in the morning over and over as the sun rises is like being next to a warm heart beat of a lover. My wife responds with the greatest of emotion. I can tell she is overwhelmed with my desire by the way she first looks to the floor and then to the heavens and then to the floor again. All this in one fell swoop. Probably more commonly known as an "eye roll". I will keep hoping. For now, the Sweet Spot.
So with that said or written, I wish everyone a Happy Sweet Spot time of year. Go outside. Roll in the grass with your children or loved one. Adore the flowers. Admire the green on the landscape. Breathe in the many final smells of summer. Catch a glimpse of a collector car before it gets put in storage. Take your dog to a park. Bake in the sun. Go for a bike ride around a lake. Just realize the Sweet Spot can be unpredictable, so don't put it off. May you use these final days of summer wisely and breathe the air in deep, as its about to get a little thinner.

No comments: